What the ......?
Per the Organic Consumer's Association.........
Now, the Obama Administration is putting two notorious biotech bullies in charge of food safety! Former Monsanto lobbyist Michael Taylor has been appointed as a senior adviser to the Food and Drug Administration Commissioner on food safety. Just what we need a lobbyist as senior advisor, no conflict of interest there!!
According to OCA
- While working as a lobbyist, Taylor authored more than a dozen articles critical of the Delaney Clause, a 1958 federal law prohibiting the introduction of known carcinogens into processed foods, which had long been opposed by Monsanto and other chemical and pesticide companies. (oooh, yummmy, I'd love some more pesticides in my food, wouldn't you?)
- When Taylor rejoined the federal government, he continued advocating that Delaney should be overturned. This was finally done when President Clinton signed the so-called Food Quality Protection Act on the eve of the 1996 elections.
rBGH-using dairy farmer and Pennsylvania Agriculture Secretary Dennis Wolff is rumored to be President Obama's choice for Under-Secretary of Agriculture for Food Safety.
Dennis Wolff is the Secretary of Agriculture for the State of Pennsylvania. Wolff also is a dairy farmer and owns Pen-Col Farms, a 600-acre dairy cattle operation.
- Wolff has championed agribusiness interests as Pennsylvania's Secretary of Agriculture, including banning local dairies from marketing their products as free of Monsanto's rBGH
Per Wolff, (awwwe, he did it for us)
... consumers were "concerned or confused" about the labeling and said his department received "many calls" about it. Yet when a New York Times reporter asked him about this, Wolff couldn't provide any surveys showing consumers were confused and could not come up with the name of ONE CONSUMER who had complained.
(sounds fishy to me! politics as usual)
* Held one meeting of the so-called Food Labeling Advisory Committee and said they recommended the labeling ban. Yet the committee never voted on anything and never made any recommendations specific to dairy. Moreover, the group most affected by the rules and most opposed to them, the PA Association of Milk Dealers, was never even invited to the meeting.
After 5 years of declining sales and several legal setbacks, Monsanto has finally decided to dump rBGH! Thanks to consumer pressure, major retailers, dairies, and cafes, from Kroger to Starbucks, have commited to sourcing milk from rBGH-free cows.
Several countries, including Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, and the European Union have banned rbGH because of its impacts on human and animal health.
From the book: What's in your milk? by Samuel S. Epstein,M.D.
Monsanto, supported by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), insists that rBGH milk is indistinguishable from natural milk, and that it is safe for consumers. This is blatantly false.
- rBGH makes cows sick. Monsanto has been forced to admit to about 20 toxic effects, including mastitis, on its POSILAC label.
- rBGH milk is contaminated by pus, due to the mastitis commonly induced by rBGH, and antibiotics used to treat the mastitis.
- rBGH milk is supercharged with high levels of a natural growth factor (IGF-1), which is readily absorbed through the gut.
- Excess levels of IGF-1 have been incriminated as a cause of breast, colon, and prostate cancers.
- IGF-1 blocks natural defense mechanisms against early submicroscopic cancers.
- rBGH factory farms pose a major threat to the viability of small dairy farms.
- rBGH enriches Monsanto, while posing dangers, without any benefits, to consumers.
I don't know about you but I'm fed up! No wonder every other person you meet has been touched by cancer. We all have to care about this stuff. The system is too big and too driven by corporate interests. Vote with your dollar! Don't buy the junk!!! Go to the OCA site and send a message about these new appointments. Click Here! and send a message!
These appointments stink. Sounds like the investment banking debacle! Do they all work for Goldman Sachs or Monsanto!!???&*&*
So whoopie, there's crap in the sunscreen that can give you cancer, gunk in the milk, cancer causing properties in artificial sweeteners, injected farmed fish, nitrates and nitrites in your cold cuts...........the list just goes on and on!
LET's wake up peeps!!! Send a message that you'd prefer your food products be free of cancer causing crazy crud.