Friday, July 3, 2009

Friday Fix...........

Red, White, and Blubarb Cake.......Happy Fourth of July!


This is the last piece just waiting for a dollop of whipped cream, yum....

My dear sweet Aunt Adele delivered a beautiful bunch of organic Rhubarb (which she grew) to my mother this week. The usual go-to recipe for Rhubarb would be a pie (we are certified pie-freaks!) but we wanted to try something different and went in search of a recipe for cake.

I modified a recipe from allrecipes.com for rhubarb cake to make it a bit healthier and used some of the tips from the 100 plus positive reviews.

This cake was super easy and very moist and delicious, especially when warm. My friend Jackie used to say "mmmmm, that's so good it makes you wanna slap your momma". While I will not condone anyone slapping their momma, this cake does tempt! (oh, and for the record I absolutely did not slap my sweet little mom:)


original recipe here

My modifications were.............
for cake:
1/2 stick of organic butter and 1/4 cup olive oil instead of 1 stick butter
1 cup turbinado sugar (organic brown sugar) instead of 1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour and 1 cup White Flour instead of 2 cups white
3 1/2 cups rhubarb vs. 2 cups (this was suggested by reviewers)

for topping:
I used organic oats, olive oil, and brown sugar and spread over top. I just eyeballed it till it seemed a good consistency. Not too wet, not too dry. After spreading on top I just threw some blueberries over the top.

How to make it healthier:
Even with 1/2 cup less sugar I think you could cut the sugar a bit more (though my husband liked at 1 cup), try honey, try agave, use less butter, get organic buttermilk, try with spelt flour. Mom suggested putting the blueberries into the batter with rhubarb but I think they look pretty on top even though they exploded a bit.

I'm not about to banish treats but I do feel much better about eating treats made from scratch. At least I know what's in them.

Enjoy!
MaryAnn

No comments: