Friday, October 9, 2009



FRIDAY FIX....Let's Hang On To Summer!


The time for pumpkins and winter squash is upon us. Well, I don't know about you, but I'm not quite ready to let go of summer. I'm into peppers, not pumpkins! Happily, there's still an abundance of them at farm stands and markets. In fact, I bought some nice red and green specimens just last week.
I had the best of intentions for them. Really. I confess..... they languished in my fridge. I rescued them just yesterday. By that time a few were looking a wee bit past their prime.

I had to act fast, so it was sausage and peppers to the rescue!! So easy, and tasty, too. And fun, because there are lots of intriguing sausage varieties around to try. Be sure to check the ingredients carefully so you know you're won't be eating any icky fillers, and watch that the fat content isn't too high. My personal fave? Griggstown Farm's chicken sausage with spinach and feta.

Here's how I make this dish. It's so simple I won't even call it a recipe!

Lisa's No-Brainer Sausage & Peppers

Three large peppers (I like to use two green, one red, but you can use any combination you like)
Two large onions
Two large cloves of garlic, crushed
One package sausage of your choice (preferably all-natural, organic, and local!)
Olive oil

Slice peppers and onions lengthwise into fairly thin strips. Heat a large skillet over medium flame, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Saute onions and peppers for five minutes, stirring often so they don't stick or brown too much. Reduce heat to low, add two tablespoons of water to pan, cover, and cook for about 10 more minutes, or until peppers and onions are very soft. Add one more tablespoons of olive oil, then the crushed garlic and cook for one minute longer, stirring occasionally.
While the veggies are cooking, grill or broil sausage until cooked through. Cut sausage into chunks.

Add sausage to the onions and peppers, salt and pepper to taste, and you're done! Serves two hearty eaters.

I like to pair this dish with an arugula salad with tomatoes and white beans. Add a warm, crusty whole wheat roll and you're done!


Enjoy! Lisa




No comments: