Friday, September 11, 2009


FRIDAY FIX....................................


Ok, carnivores, here's something that will make grilled veggies taste so delicious you might just forget there's no meat on your plate! Here's my all-time fave marinade, from the excellent cookbook "Quick Vegetarian Pleasures" by Jeanne Lemlin (first introduced to me by my pal Kelly).

It's no secret that most of us don't eat enough veggies. We need to increase our veggie intake (and eat less meat overall), so check it out! Try replacing one or two meals a week with a vegetarian/vegan option. There are lots of fabulous recipes for main courses, soups, salads, breads, muffins, desserts...and much more.

This marinade makes AMAZINGLY SCRUPTIOUS grilled veggies. I especially like it with eggplant (of course), zucchini, peppers, and especially portobello mushrooms. They're so dense and substantial, you wont miss the slab of sirloin that's NOT on your plate! It's also a nice change from Italian-style vinegar-based marinades. I don't know about you, but I'm balsamic vinegared-out!!


LEMON-SOY Marinade


1/2 cup vegetable oil (since I strongly prefer olive oil over other types, that's what I use)

3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice

4 1/2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce (I've used regular and low-sodium and they're ok, too)

1 scallion, very thinly sliced

3 garlic cloves, pressed (local, organic if possible! It's so much better!)

1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger (my husband is not a ginger fan, so I reduce or omit it entirely. I love the touch of ginger, but it's still delicious without)


Mix all ingredients together. Makes about 1 1/4 cups


Note: If you're in a hurry, I find the veggies marinate nicely in as little as 30 minutes (although Lemlin says to marinate 4-6 hours). You can brush more marinade on as they grill if you wish.


Delish!! Enjoy!!


Lisa



No comments: