Wednesday, September 23, 2009


What The Heck Are These?


I think what I enjoy most about shopping at farmers' markets is finding unusual produce. These weird little thingies certainly fall into that category. I'd never seen them before. (They look like mini versions of the pods from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers.")

What the heck are they? Well, all I can tell you is they're called husk cherries. Just squeeze the tan, paperlike outer husk, and out pops a little yellow orb that you eat--and there's no pit! (Actually, in response to the "try one" sign at the market, I almost made the mistake of eating it whole. The whole shebang was in my mouth, husk and all. Boy, was I embarrassed!)

What do they taste like? Well, the taste-testers in my household (consisting of me, my husband, and my daughter) had differing opinions. To my palate, they were slighly sweet with creamy herbal overtones (sounds like a good red wine, right? Hmmm, husk cherry wine...) My husband chewed, shrugged and did not comment (not exactly a rave review). My daughter screwed up her face and said they reminded her of the flouride treatment she once got at the dentist (mind you, that was years ago, long before I read about the dangers of flouride. But that's fodder for another blogging session). So, that's a downright pan from the resident teenager.
So, that's that. Not exactly a hit, but interesting nonetheless. Ok, I know what you're thinking: reading this cost five minutes of your life you'll never get back. Well, look at it this way: now you know what a husk cherry is. And that's knowledge I'm sure you couldn't have lived without!

I promise tomorrow's recipe post will be a bit more interesting (DELICIOUS pork chops). And I guarrantee that husk cherries will NOT be on the ingredients list!


Lisa




No comments: