Thursday, September 24, 2009



FRIDAY FIX..........

Yes, I know we usually blather on about cutting down on red meat and working more vegetarian dinner choices into our diets. But it's been quite a while since we posted a meat recipe (have we ever???), and this is soooo yummy, so let's take a break from veggies today.
Actually, I'm not a pork fan, but I've been in that "I'm-so-sick-of-the-same-old-stuff-for-dinner" mode lately. I needed a change. You, too?


To break out of the dinner doldrums, I decided to try pork chops (haven't had 'em in years) from Flemington Farmers' market. (I think the name of the purveyor was Purely Pork.) Pasture raised, of course. Pricey...of course. But truly lovely--1 1/2 inches thick, perfect for the grill, and extremely lean. I grabbed one of the provided recipes and gave it a shot.


How'd it go? Well, when I set these babies on the table, my husband was in ecstasy. Meat!! At last!! Actually, the whole family enjoyed this recipe. My daughter even said, "my compliments to the chef." That would be me. High praise from a 14 year-old who turns up her nose over just about anything even slightly out-of-the-ordinary.


PERFECTLY GRILLED PORK CHOPS
(for two chops--double for four, etc...)

Two large pork chops, approx. 1 1/2 inches thing (preferably local, pastured pork)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon terriyaki
1 tablespoon worcestershire
3 tablespoons vermouth (I substituted white wine)
1/2 medium onion, finely sliced
fresh ground pepper
fresh ground sea salt
brown sugar


Mix all ingredients except salt, pepper, and sugar, then add pork chops, coating well with marinade. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 1 1/2 hours, turning once or twice. Remove pork chops, reserve marinade, and pat dry with paper towl. Preheat grill. Once grill is very hot, lower one burner to medium while leaving remaining on high.

Place chops over burner with reduced heat. Grill 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes each side until internal temperature reaches 135-140 degrees. While chops are cooking, reduce marinade over medium high heat in a sauce pan on the stove top. Bring to a vigorous simmer and stir, creating flavorful gravy.

Remove chops from grill, cover lightly with tin foil and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes*.

(Note from purveyor: "We prefer to remove our chops from the grill while they are still on the rare side as they continue to cook under the foil and because pastured meats tend to be on the leaner side.")

Top chops with marniade reduction and use as a tasty gravy for sides.

*While it's important not to overcook pastured meats, I found that these chops were underdone even after sitting for 5 - 10 minutes. I put mine back on the grill over indirect medium heat for an additional 5 minutes or so to cook through. Also, I found that the brown sugar coating on the chops caused flare-ups if the grill was too hot. I suggest using medium heat, turning down if necessary--otherwise they'll char.

Enjoy!

Lisa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Bellissimo! My husband would love to come home to that meal. I intended to buy the pork chops this week but they come to the Farmer's Market every other week. Great tips!

Thanks,
MaryAnn