Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Another book to read.....

I knew it wasn't my fault! I admit it, I love junk food. Who doesn't like the taste of that squishy bun on a fast food sandwich? No wonder a stroll through the supermarket is like running the gauntlet.


Heck I had my hand on the squeeze cheese the other day. You know, the golden yellow goop in a can for squirting on a cracker, or your finger for that matter. How's that for a quick fix. Fortunately my daughter stopped me and said "MOM, you're writing a healthy eating food blog, don't do it!"

Read this review from the NY Times of a new book, “The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite” (Rodale) by David Kessler, former head of the FDA and Harvard educated pediatrician.

An excerpt from the article...
When it comes to stimulating our brains, Dr. Kessler noted, individual ingredients aren’t particularly potent. But by combining fats, sugar and salt in innumerable ways, food makers have essentially tapped into the brain’s reward system, creating a feedback loop that stimulates our desire to eat and leaves us wanting more and more even when we’re full.

Read it here

No comments: